Opinion: Adult Adoptees Want Change In Birth Certificate Law

I was born in the State of Connecticut in 1959. I have both of my birth certificates to prove it. Both, you say?

This content has been archived. It is available exclusively through our partner LexisNexis®.

To view this content, please continue to Lexis Advance®.

Continue to Lexis Advance®

Not a Lexis Advance® Subscriber? Subscribe Now

Why am I seeing this?

LexisNexis® is now the exclusive third party online distributor of the broad collection of current and archived versions of ALM's legal news publications. LexisNexis® customers will be able to access and use ALM's content by subscribing to the LexisNexis® services via Lexis Advance®. This includes content from the National Law Journal®, The American Lawyer®, Law Technology News®, The New York Law Journal® and Corporate Counsel®, as well as ALM's other newspapers, directories, legal treatises, published and unpublished court opinions, and other sources of legal information.

ALM's content plays a significant role in your work and research, and now through this alliance LexisNexis® will bring you access to an even more comprehensive collection of legal content.

For questions call 1-877-256-2472 or contact us at customercare@alm.com

What's being said

  • Gaye Tannenbaum

    Excellent piece! But you left out the best part. If you are no longer a resident of your state of birth - you no longer have representation in the legislature that decides what information you are entitled to.

    In New York, it's even more special.

    You need to petition a court to unseal your records. Petitions are seldom granted and the few that are are granted for medical reasons. Your petition for medical reasons must be accompanied by an affidavit from your doctor. Okay - pretty much standard practice, right?

    Here's the kicker - your doctor must be licensed to practice in New York. Born and adopted in New York and have a serious health problem that requires an updated family medical history - but you live in California? Too bad. If you really need it, you'll find a way to get a real NY doctor to sign off on your pity party. And then MAYBE the judge will grant it.

Comments are not moderated. To report offensive comments, click here.

Preparing comment abuse report for Article #1202612235895

Thank you!

This article's comments will be reviewed.

Recommended for You