Jury Awards $9.3 Million For Bridgeport Hospital Malpractice
A Bridgeport Superior Court jury today awarded a 72 year-old Southport woman $9.3 million as a result of a drug overdose that caused permanent, life-long injuries.
Barbara G. Lathan was admitted to Bridgeport Hospital in October 2007 for treatment of a urinary tract infection.
“This should have been a relatively simple medical issue,” said one of Lathan’s attorneys, Kathleen L. Nastri of Bridgeport-based Koskoff, Koskoff & Bieder. “Instead, she was given an overdose of the drug Lovenox and now will need a wheel chair and face ongoing serious medical issues for the rest of her life.”
“Aside from the initial urinary infection, Barbara was healthy, active and was enjoying life,” said another of Lathan’s lawyers, Antonio Ponvert III, also of Koskoff, Koskoff & Bieder. “Then, the drug overdose caused her to die and be revived, resulted in her needing a half dozen surgeries, caused a serious new infection, and forced her to endure excruciating pain. She went in for what should have been a very short admission and came out 75 days later, altered forever.”
Lovenox is typically used as a blood anticoagulant.