Police Chase Case Ends In $727,000 Settlement

, The Connecticut Law Tribune


Kennedy said Langley initially spent about a week in the hospital and had hip surgery. She was then taken to a rehabilitation facility to wait for the swelling in her legs to go down so she could have another surgery on the ankle and left leg. Her doctor predicts she will need either an ankle replacement or a fusion surgery in the future, Kennedy said. It is also expected that she will develop arthritis in the injured areas.

To date, Langley's medical bills exceed $146,000.

Langley finally went home about a month after the accident, received home-schooling and still graduated high school with her classmates, hobbling across the stage on crutches at her commencement in 2006.

Langley is now 25 and working as a licensed practical nurse. She is also back in school pursuing a more advanced nursing degree. "Her goal is to get more educated so she can get into positions that require less standing, bending, twisting, that sort of thing," said Kennedy. "She has a young child… She's a pretty impressive kid who had a really tough time and has done a remarkable job getting better and changing her life to comport with what her injuries are."

Kennedy sued the city of New Haven on Langley's behalf, charing that the officers failed to comply with procedures regarding suspect pursuits. Kennedy explained that New Haven officers are not allowed to engage in a high-speed chase through downtown unless they are pursuing someone accused of a serious felony, such as kidnapping, rape or murder.

Kennedy said that the drug offenses Sullivan was suspected of did not rise to that level. The attorney said he had an out-of-state expert ready to testify about pursuit protocols had the case proceeded to trial this month, as initially scheduled.

The city of New Haven was defended by Senior Assistant Corporation Counsel Michael Wolack. Wolack argued that the police were not actually chasing the suspect. "Their position on it was that they hadn't instituted a pursuit so they hadn't violated any protocol," said Kennedy.

However, Kennedy said a number of witnesses said the police cruiser hit speeds of 60 to 90 mph, and even went down the one-way street in pursuit of Sullivan. "There was lots of evidence that indicated there was in fact a chase going on from independent third parties," said Kennedy.

The case went to mediation last month before Superior Court Judge Terence Zemetis. The two sides ultimately opted to settle the case for $727,000 than go to trial.

Victor Bolden, corporation counsel for New Haven, said the city had to weigh whether it was better to pay the relatively large settlement or risk going to trial and possibly being hit with an even larger verdict. "This was one where we're trying to reach a resolution here," said Bolden. "I think at the end of the day, it's more than we want [to pay] but certainly less than what may happen."

What's being said

Comments are not moderated. To report offensive comments, click here.

Preparing comment abuse report for Article# 1202639805575

Thank you!

This article's comments will be reviewed.